Why work at Sheridan? Click to view our video!
Employee Group: Support Staff
Faculty/Department: Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activity at any Sheridan campus)
Reference Number: 18/S/122
Hourly Range: $36.42 - 42.22
Hours: 8:30 - 4:00 pm
Reporting to the Manager, Web Technologies and Development Operations, the Senior Web Developer leads the technical and functional development of Sheridan’s primary web properties including supported marketing systems, software and web applications. The incumbent is part of a team that evolves Sheridan’s online brand across multiple platforms. The Senior Web Developer leverages their expertise and knowledge of web application architecture and development to achieve the strategic goals and objectives of Sheridan College through digital marketing initiatives.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Reviews requests to determine feasibility of implementation;
- Meets with users to clarify needs and discuss scope and timelines;
- Defines site objectives by analyzing user requirements; envisioning features and functionality;
- Recommends possible solutions based on the existing applications and modules as well as the available technologies and business processes;
- Advises supervisor of significance and scope of enhancement/implementation;
- Designs and develops user interfaces to internet applications by setting expectations and features priorities throughout development life cycle; determining design methodologies and tool sets; completing programming using languages and software products; designing and conducting tests;
- Integrates applications by designing database architecture and server scripting; studying and establishing connectivity with network systems, search engines, and information servers;
- Creates multi-browser, multi-device applications by using authoring tools;
- Advises supervisor of conflicts with Sheridan’s policy and major changes of the scope of the requests.
- Reviews procedures prior to operational release for adherence to standards and to verify that user requirements as specified are met;
- Analyzes requirements and specifications, in the context of existing functionality and application modules, business processes and available technologies, to identify and document the impact and advise the user community of the implications;
- Assigns tasks to other staff and reviews work for adherence to standards and technical specifications;
- Reviews requirement and design documentation and provides feedback on quality and completeness of the documentation;
- Collaborates with other technical staff within Marketing and Information Technology (IT) to resolve issues that impact multiple software modules.
- Solves problems by implementing a solution utilizing the existing technologies or recommending a change to a business process;
- Documents solutions for resolved issues and follows up with end users to ensure complete closure of reported issues;
- Reviews and tests technical changes and documents modifications required as a result of the upgrade;
- Maintains documentation of modifications affected by each upgrade;
- Shares knowledge with other Sheridan staff by providing one-on-one training sessions and/or group presentations;
- Acts as a senior technical resource to staff both internal and external to the department;
- Performs other related duties as assigned;
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
The successful candidate will possess a 3 years’ diploma/degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Marketing or related field. Along with having a minimum of 5 years of Web software design and development experience utilizing web based technologies (ideally Microsoft technology) and relational databases (ideally MSSQL and/or Oracle). Ability to work in a team environment, the ability to problem solve, organize and prioritize duties, make decisions, work independently and deal with conflicting deadlines. Strong ability to research, troubleshoot and analyze data is also required along with excellent oral and written communication skills.
Microsoft (MCSD) or Sitecore certification is an asset.
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Copies of educational credentials are requested at the time of an interview. As a condition of employment, Sheridan requires confirmation of educational credentials in the form of an official Canadian transcript or an official evaluation of international credentials which determines Canadian equivalency.