Why work at Sheridan? Click to view our video!
Faculty/Department: Finance and Administration
Employee Group: Administrative
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activity at any Sheridan Campus)
Reference Number: 18/A/47
Hiring Range: $122,955 - $130,682
Salary Range: $122,955 - $153,744
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Financial Services, the Director, Accounting and Financial Reporting is a strategic business and financial advisor to Sheridan leaders as well as to the Finance leadership team to support Sheridan’s strategic initiatives and drive business growth, results, and sustainability. The Director leverages pertinent expertise to align financial strategies with business needs and guides financial services and policies in support of Sheridan’s sustainability initiatives and vision to become a unique polytechnic university. The Director provides leadership, oversight and guidance to the Accounting and Payroll Services, Financial Reporting and Systems Team and has senior accountability for strategy, systems and resources.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• As a key member of the Finance Senior Leadership Team, works collaboratively with a view to an effective overall service delivery model for the Finance division;
• Participates in the development of strategic finance directions for Sheridan and the design of policies, processes, and systems to support these directions;
• Supports leaders across the organization with regard to Finance initiatives;
• Provides strategic direction, long range planning, and operational leadership for delivery and performance of the accounting and payroll services portfolio. This includes: leading staff, strategy development, risk management, providing direction to auditors;
• Leads a team of finance professionals who provide financial technical advice, consultative support and other resources to client managers across Sheridan; ensures that the team provides effective leadership, expert guidance and operational advice; serves as a senior level of appeal or escalation involving employee or manager concerns for the portfolio;
• Educates the business about financial trends, new legislation and compliance areas, as well as Sheridan financial policies and procedures;
• Researches and advises on accounting and payroll issues; supports finance and operational leaders so they understand financial/accounting implications;
• Ensures controllership and compliance of financial activities and documentation/reports; monitors financial transactions in the general ledger;
• Leads cross-functional projects to improve rigor in key finance processes;
• Prepares and oversees preparation and submission of a wide variety of financial reports and audits including annual financial statements and Ministry required financial statements and audits;
• Drives functional integrity, compliance and consistency through all financial processes and systems, including appropriate controls and effective operations; Ensures integrity of financial data;
• Partners with and advises Director, Special Projects in system projects related to the PeopleSoft Financials suite, Human Resources Payroll module and Student Financials Module, financial related system implementation, upgrades from the functional side, functional testing plans and testing for upgrades to servers, database etc.;
• Assists the Vice President, Finance and Administration and Chief Financial Officer and AVP, Financial Services in managing treasury functions;
• Leads accounting, payroll, and financial reporting teams with goals aligned with long term organizational strategy;
• Develops, guides and empowers a diverse and capable team to deliver high level service to all client groups; Also leads, guides and supports the rest of the organization in addressing legislative challenges and developing long lasting strategies;
• Provides inspiration, leadership and direction to Accounting and Payroll Services Teams and builds financial professional capacity and engagement;
• Performs other projects and initiatives as required.
• 4 year Bachelor degree Business Administration/Commerce or Accounting or related degree.
• A minimum of 9 years progressive financial accounting experience, including 4 years of experience in a leadership capacity with financial Accounting and payroll teams, treasury functions and projects; or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
• Professional designation – CPA, CA/CGA/CMA is required
• Proven leadership experience – ability to manage employees and project teams across the organization;
• Experience leading large cross-functional projects and process improvements within financial and payroll functions;
• Solid technical knowledge and experience in financial accounting, reporting , payroll, treasury and accounting systems;
• Current knowledge of current accounting and payroll trends, regulations, processes in portfolio areas;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to interact professionally with internal and external contacts;
• Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability; able to manage high volume of work with competing priorities and time constraints.
• Highly developed, influential leadership skills (coaching and strategic advisory/consultative expertise)
• Ability to mobilize action and engage others
• Knowledge, skill and experience in negotiations, mediation, dispute resolution and group facilitation
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Copies of educational credentials are requested at the time of an interview. As a condition of employment, Sheridan requires confirmation of educational credentials in the form of an official Canadian transcript or an official evaluation of international credentials which determines Canadian equivalency.