Why work at Sheridan? Click to view our video!
Employee Group: Support Staff
Faculty/Department: Financial Services - Payroll
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activity at any Sheridan campus)
Reference Number: 18/S/76
Hourly Range: $31.06 - $36.06
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Application Details: Position is being reposted to consider external candidates. Previous applicants do not need to reapply.
Reporting directly to the Manager, Payroll the Payroll Officer is responsible for the accurate and timely entry of newly hired Part-Time Support and Student employees, along with Part-Time, Partial-Load, Sessional and Faculty of Continuing and Professional Studies (FCAPS) instructors (for assigned set of employees). In addition, the Officer is responsible for keying all Academic Non-Teaching, special payments and non-employee payments. The Officer performs the processing and verification of payments and deductions for all full time and part time Sheridan employees as part of the bi-weekly payroll. The incumbent is required to take the lead (on a rotating basis) in running the PeopleSoft processes related to generating a payroll including; troubleshooting and correcting errors that appear on auditing reports; submitting a direct deposit file to the bank; processing Statutory Remittances and GL processing.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• Using PeopleSoft HRIS software, ensures the accurate and timely entry of payroll related information for all Support, Academic & Administrative employees
• Creating, maintaining, upgrading and adapting employee records for all Academic Non-Teaching, special payments and other non-employee set-ups and payments
• Entering and verifying payroll transactions and PS records to ensure accurate and timely remuneration of wages
• Performing manual calculations to verify that changes in payroll records are yielding the correct pay
• Ensuring errors are rectified before advancing through the payroll process steps
• Calculating & Preparing Funding Entries for online payment of Payroll Taxes, CPP, EI, EHT & Family Support Garnishments.
• Answering questions from employees and time-keepers related to: payroll timelines, pay cheque discrepancies, viewing pay stubs on-line, and the accurate completion of payroll paperwork
• Running and Editing the Bi-weekly processes required for the GL interface between PS HR and PS Financials
• Performing other related duties as assigned
• 2-year diploma in Human Resource Management, Accounting/Finance or related field, as well as, and have a minimum of 5 years of payroll processing experience on an in-house computerized HRIS (PeopleSoft preferred)
• Possess the Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation from the Canadian Payroll Association
• Well versed in the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, including experience using Macros will be considered an asset
• Payroll processing experience on an in-house computerized HRIS, preferably PeopleSoft HR
• Thorough and current knowledge of Revenue Canada regulations pertaining to payroll is necessary. Knowledge and experience with accounting principles, mathematical calculations, and General Ledger cost accounting and distributions will be considered an asset
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft Time & Labour module is an asset and experience in interpreting collective agreements is preferred
• Excellent oral and written communication and developed interpersonal and organizational skills are essential
• Professional, able to maintain confidentiality and thrive in a fast-paced team environment
• Demonstrate high level of integrity and compliance with CRA legislation in performing the Payroll function
• Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) designation will be considered an asset
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Copies of educational credentials are requested at the time of an interview. As a condition of employment, Sheridan requires confirmation of educational credentials in the form of an official Canadian transcript or an official evaluation of international credentials which determines Canadian equivalency.