Why work at Sheridan? Click to view our video!
Faculty/Department: Applied Science and Technology
Employee Group: Academic
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus)
Reference Number: 18/F/26
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: August 2018
Salary Range: $62,717 - $108,723 (based on relevant educational qualifications and experience)
Sheridan is looking for outstanding individuals to join our faculty team. The successful candidate will have a strong background that focuses on developing and using cloud services and serverless architectures used to connect and leverage IoT devices in the development of mobile and traditional software systems. Expertise in developing IoT solutions using a variety of devices, technologies and frameworks is critical. The candidate will be able to teach courses in distributed mobile software systems, cloud computing, ubiquitous computing and Internet of Things. Additionally, the candidate will be able to supervise undergraduate student research and participate actively in curriculum development.
The candidate will teach using the latest software platforms including cloud computing and technologies for building mobile and traditional software systems. Currently, cloud computing platforms include Google Cloud, IBM Bluemix and Microsoft Azure and IoT devices that focus on smart home, smart city, beacons, healthcare sensors and smart cameras as well as IoT platforms such as Arduino and Raspberry Pi. Mobile platforms and technologies include Android (Java), iOS (Swift), Cordova and React Native. Practical experience with software engineering processes and methodologies, software modelling with UML and modeling tools is a strong asset.
The successful candidate will focus on teaching courses in the Honours Bachelor of Computer Science (Mobile Computing) program and other programs as needed in the Faculty of Applied Science and Technology and will also contribute to program and curriculum development. With the increased focus on undergraduate research delivered within curriculum, candidates will also have the opportunity to participate in applied research roles, in the Center for Mobile Innovation (CMI) as well as other Applied Research Centres at Sheridan College. Evidence of a strong commitment to and qualification for both teaching and supervising student research is essential.
• Ensuring that program and course curricula are current, relevant and reflective of best practices within the relevant professional/program disciplines
• Defining, evaluating and validating learning outcomes and topical outlines for courses and programs
• Creating an effective experiential and purposeful learning environment that accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and learning styles, fosters creativity and resilience and builds on rigour of depth and breadth appropriate to each course
• Designing appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and assessing student learning that are reflective of best practices in teaching and learning
• Developing appropriate strategies and tools to assess student performance in authentic ways that are consistent with the learning outcomes of the course and address multiple learning styles
• Developing multi-media materials, diverse delivery strategies, and incorporating appropriate educational technologies into the applied learning process
• Supervising students in their graduation Capstone Project or Thesis to provide guidance, mentorship and technical expertise as needed, to support collaboration with industry experts to develop purposeful projects that aim to solve real-world problems in industry and community
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or in a related field of study (PhD preferred);
• A minimum of three years relevant professional experience in academia or industry;
• Expertise in developing systems that leverage IoT and integrate IoT devices into mobile and traditional systems;
• Proven experience with IoT development such as Raspberry Pi and Arduino;
• Expertise in leveraging cloud frameworks and services for connecting mobile applications through cloud computing such as Push Notifications, MBaaS, FaaS, Serverless Architectures, DevOps etc.;
• Experience in mobile application development with a diverse set of languages and platforms is a strong asset: Android (Java) and iOS (Swift) for native development and hybrid frameworks like Cordova, React Native or similar;
• Experience in modeling designing and engineering medium to large software projects that involves various technologies using software modeling languages and tools like UML, Visual Paradigm or IBM Rational Software preferred;
• Experience teaching and curriculum development at the post-secondary level or equivalent industry experience preferred;
• Experience in supervising undergraduate Capstone and Thesis in Computer Science and undergraduate applied research projects preferred;
• Formal studies in adult or higher education an asset;
• Strong network of contacts with other academics, professionals, organizations and employers;
• Excellent communications and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to convey the conceptual and applied aspects of knowledge to a broad range of students;
• Committed to excellence in teaching and learning and to working within a team environment.
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Copies of educational credentials are requested at the time of an interview. As a condition of employment, Sheridan requires confirmation of educational credentials in the form of an official Canadian transcript or an official evaluation of international credentials which determines Canadian equivalency.
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com