Why work at Sheridan? Click to view our video!
Employee Group: Support Staff
Faculty/Department: Information Technology – Enterprise Systems Services
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activity at any Sheridan campus)
Reference Number: 18/S/03
Hourly Range: $42.06 - $49.47
Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Application Details: Position is being reposted to consider external candidates.
Reporting directly to the Director, Enterprise Systems Services (ESS), the incumbent, a senior member of the ESS team, is an expert in enterprise database and system administration with extensive knowledge and experience in designing, implementing, managing and supporting complex administrative and academic databases, and application environments. The incumbent leads a team of Database Administrators (DBAs) and is responsible for ensuring Sheridan’s database and application infrastructures are robust, stable, current, backed-up and well supported.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Architecting, implementing and administering Sheridan’s enterprise database and application environments;
- Acting as a senior technical resource and providing the highest level of problem resolution for all database and applications infrastructure related problems;
- Planning and executing major upgrades to the databases and application environments, applying patches/fixes to the database, and promoting application changes to the quality assurance and/or production environment;
- Providing senior technical support for trouble shooting database and application performance issues;
- Maintaining, developing and sharing a high level of technical skills in a rapidly changing environment;
- Researching new database modelling and monitoring tools, end-user query tools and relevant technical development products;
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 3 year diploma/degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field and a minimum of 8 years of Oracle database administration experience is required, including a minimum of five years administering Oracle databases within a PeopleSoft environment (or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience)
- Formal training in Oracle backup and recovery, Oracle Administration and Performance Tuning is required
- Formal certification in database administration is highly desirable
- Minimum of 2 years of experience delegating technical tasks to other staff
- Demonstrated project management skills to act as project lead or participant in projects involving other Enterprise System Services members, or other IT and non-IT groups
- Highly technical and proven senior level Oracle DBA skills supporting PeopleSoft with Oracle 11G and/or 12C.
- Must have hands-on experience with PeopleSoft PeopleTools 8.53 or higher: Data Mover, PeopleSoft Upgrades with Change Assistant and patch updates with PeopleSoft Update Manager (PUM).
- Experience in managing and troubleshooting WebLogic and Tuxedo.
- In-depth experience with Oracle backup and recovery techniques, performance tuning and security, PeopleSoft Internet architecture, SQL, Unix, Linux and Windows
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized, results oriented person who can meet the challenges and pressures of implementing and maintaining enterprise databases and infrastructure
- Incumbent is expected to be on-call periodically and be available to perform duties outside of regular business hours during the week and on week-ends
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Copies of educational credentials are requested at the time of an interview. As a condition of employment, Sheridan requires confirmation of educational credentials in the form of an official Canadian transcript or an official evaluation of international credentials which determines Canadian equivalency.