Why work at Sheridan? Click to view our video!
Note: Preference will be given to qualified full-time employees within the bargaining unit at Sheridan College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
Employee Group: Support Staff
Faculty/Department: Information Technology
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activity at any Sheridan campus)
Reference Number: 17/S/127
Hourly Range: $35.88 - $41.60
Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Application Deadline: December 11, 2017
Reporting to the Director, Information Security and Compliance, the incumbent is a member of a team of technical staff providing advice and guidance to the entire Sheridan community, corporate clients, and other educational institutions specific to architecting, planning, enhancing, redesigning, securing and administering broadband network, data and communications infrastructure that support academic and administrative users at all Sheridan campuses.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Planning and administering broadband network, data, voice infrastructure and related applications that support academic and administrative users at all Sheridan College campuses;
- Architecting, implementing and administering Sheridan’s entire wired and wireless network, third party and inter-campus infrastructure links;
- Planning and Implementing or redesigning new technologies for the various infrastructure environments and solutions;
- Establishing a technical foundation from which College-wide technology standards and purchasing practices will evolve.
- Providing advice and guidance to the entire College community, corporate clients, and on occasion to other educational institutions regarding infrastructure systems and the complex interdependencies that exist between Application systems, voice and data networks, corporate and interactive applications, operating systems, file servers, and integrated desktops;
- Establishing a technical foundation from which Sheridan-wide technology standards and purchasing trends will evolve;
- Attending conferences, specific classroom or web based training, seminars or vendor presentations as required;
- Other related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 3-year diploma/degree in computer science, including network design and systems engineering, Information Technology or a related field, along with a minimum of 3 years progressive experience in progressive experience in Information and Communications technologies related to a business environment, including telephony and video conferencing applications, network operating systems and communications protocols, as well as server and personal computer operating systems (or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience)
- Current industry recognized certification such as Network+, A+, or MCP.
- Strong knowledge of current programming languages such as PERL, HTML, XML, Flash, TCL, Expect, UNIX shell scripting, JAVA, etc.
- knowledge of UNIX web servers and UNIX Operating Systems to be able to write web based applications for various purposes
- Possess good oral, written and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical management, staff, faculty, students, external clients or vendors
- Cisco certification such as the CCNA/CCDA or equivalent and will be considered an asset
- Demonstrated project management skills to participant in projects involving other network support members, or other IT and non-IT technical groups.
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Copies of educational credentials are requested at the time of an interview. As a condition of employment, Sheridan requires confirmation of educational credentials in the form of an official Canadian transcript or an official evaluation of international credentials which determines Canadian equivalency.